It gives us great pleasure to invite you to the University of Abuja’s (UNIABUJA) upcoming Japanese Language Karaoke Competition, which promises to be a dynamic display of song and culture. This cultural spectacle aims to highlight the historic history of karaoke in Japan and its profound relevance.
The Origins of Karaoke
While many people enjoy singing along to songs at karaoke bars around the world, few are aware that karaoke originated in Japan. People of all ages routinely engage in this deeply ingrained form of entertainment in Japan.
In celebration of Japan Culture Day, UNIABUJA has planned an array of events, fostering a deeper appreciation for Japanese culture. With esteemed guests flying in from Japan, this presents an unparalleled opportunity for cultural immersion.
Key event details include:
- Date: 2 November 2023 (Preliminary rounds) & 3 November 2023 (Final round)
- Venue: University of Abuja Main Campus
- Director: Mitsuaki MORITA, Director, Japanese Language and Culture Institute
Why Join the Karaoke Competition?
The competition aims to broaden participants’ knowledge of Japanese language and culture in addition to singing. It also acts as a forum for strengthening links between people who are enthusiastic about Japanese culture. Participants have the opportunity to win prizes for the top three performances in addition to the inherent cultural experience.
Other than the karaoke challenge, attendees can anticipate a deep dive into various facets of Japanese culture, from the mysterious ways of the ‘Ninja’ and valour of the ‘Samurai’ to the martial art forms of ‘Aikido’ and ‘Karate’.
- Song Selection: Opt for songs exclusively in Japanese.
- Karaoke Version: Ensure you have a karaoke version of your chosen song. Songs with vocals won’t be entertained.
- Team Structure: Both solo and group entries are welcomed, with group entries capped at three members.
Participants will be assessed on:
- Japanese Pronunciation – 40 points
- Pitch – 40 points
- Rhythm – 40 points
- Expression – 40 points Note: Instrumental performances are strictly prohibited.
How to Register
Interested participants can submit their details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure you provide:
- Mobile phone number
- Email address
- Song title
- Karaoke source
Registration Deadline: 30 October 2023
UNIABUJA is looking forward to your involvement, to sum up. A wonderful fusion of music, culture, and companionship is promised at this occasion. Don’t pass up this fantastic opportunity for cultural immersion!