Members of the Senate may wish to recall that the university was closed for academic activities on 23rd March, 2020 owing to strike action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and Government directives to curtail the spread of COVID 19 Pandemic.
Although ASUU has suspended its strike action, the Federal Government in a strict directive suspended all academic activities in schools for a period of five (5) weeks, with effect from 24th December 2020.
In view of the suspension order coming to an end on 28th January 2021, there is a need for the Senate to plan ahead towards the resumption of academic activities for the remaining 2019/2020 academic session in the University.
In planning ahead, therefore, Senate is kindly requested to take into account the following in fixing the remaining dates as calendar of events to complete the 2019/2020 academic session.
1 Federal Governments suspension of academic activities for five (5) weeks, which ends on 2 January 2021:
2 Cleaning up of, Lecture Halls, Classrooms, Hostels and provision of COVID 19 safety measures in the University:
3 Financial position of parents in sending their wards to University and preparedness thereof payment of January. 2021 salaries;
4. The admission of 2020/2021 candidates into the University.
In view of the above, the proposed summary of main events tor the remaining 2019/2020 academic session are as follows
1. Resumption of academic activities and revision in preparation for 1st-semester examinations – 1st February 2021
2. 1st-semester examinations 15th February – 13th March 2021
3. Semester lectures begins and marking of 1st semester examination scripts 15th March – 5th June 2021
4. 2nd semester examinations 7th June – 3rd July 2021
5. Marking of examination scripts and preparation of academic status 5th July – 31st July 2021
6. Inter sessional break, admission of new candidates for new session – 2nd August – 11th September 2021
7. Resumption for 2021/2022 academic session. This is on assumption that the 2020/2021 academic session should be cancelled in name – 15/9/2021
Details of the calendar of academic activities for the remaining 2019/2020 academic session are as attached for the consideration of Senate. Members of Senate are to also note that other details of statutory meetings of College/Faculty Boards, constituted Committees and events are to be filled in accordingly.