The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class students and to brand Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. VCS supports students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health.
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
- For Students: Consult nominating institution for submission deadline.
- For nominating institutions: Deadline: 3rd November, 2020 (20:00 EDT).
Eligible Countries: All
Type: Doctoral (PhD)
Eligible Field of Studies:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
Value and Duration of Scholarship: $50,000 annually for three years.
Number of Scholarship: Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually.
- Applicants must be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- Applicants must be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD
- Applicants must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent.
- Applicants must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Application Process: Applicants must be nominated by the university at which they want to study. Applicants cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
It is important to go through the Application requirements in the Scholarship Webpage below before applying.
Visit The Scholarship Webpage For More Information