KAS Media Programme Sub-Sahara Africa is offering KAS Media Africa Scholarship to a promising, young sub-Saharan African journalist to do a full-time Honours or Masters Degree at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg in 2020.
Application Deadline: 8th July 2019.
Eligible Countries: All African countries
To be taken at (country): University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
About the Award: KAS Media Programme Sub-Sahara Africa is offering a university scholarship to a promising, young sub-Saharan African journalist to do a full-time Honours or Masters Degree at the University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg in 2020. The scholarship includes the university fees, return flight to Johannesburg, accommodation costs for student housing and a monthly stipend.
- Candidates should be under 30 years old, working as a journalist in a sub-Saharan African country and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates must have at least three years’ working experience and either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Masters, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Honours in Journalism (or related field) and at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates must work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg and write regular narrative reports on their study progress.
- Candidates should make themselves available in early-August for an interview by skype or telephone and be willing to sit a test exam.
- The decision on the award will be made before the end of August 2019.
- Successful candidates will be expected to complete an online student application and supply all the necessary documentation, including a SAQA assessment.
- The application for a student visa will be the responsibility of the candidate, who must begin the process before the end of October 2019.
- The academic year starts in the beginning of February 2020, and ends with the submission of research in November or the following February. The successful candidate should plan to travel in late January 2020.
Number of Awardees: 2
Value of Scholarship: The KAS Media Africa Scholarship includes:
- University fees
- Return flight to Johannesburg
- Modest monthly stipend
- Accommodation fees for student housing
- A one-time payment towards study materials
- Reimbursement of costs for study visa and SAQA assessment
Duration of Scholarship: Duration of course
How to Apply: Applicants need to submit:
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Two samples of published writing / broadcast clips
- Two letters of nomination/reference by a senior journalist, publisher or academic
- Applications should be emailed to email@example.com with “KAS scholarship” in the subject heading.