The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is funded by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) as commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to organize support measures for the “Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA)”.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Ghana
About the Award: NELGA’s research fellowship programme aims to support junior researchers in conducting a specific research projector field study at a NELGA partner institution and encourage them to pursue successful scientific careers. Through the programme, research fellows contribute to the development of African scientific collaboration and promote academic excellence in the field of land governance.
Field of Study: Research proposals are eligible for funding if they are conducted in the area of land governance or other related fields. Research proposals covering the following cross-cutting issues will be given special consideration:
- Women’s legal land rights and law enforcement mechanisms
- Access to land resources and land titles (de jure and de facto)
- Women’s role in land tenure governance and land reform – i.e. their participation in decision-making bodies and community governance
- Property rights within marriage and on inheritance
Eligibility: We invite staff members or students of NELGA partner institutions with a background in land governance or gender studies to apply for funding for NELGA research fellowships on Land and Gender. This is part of the general open call for NELGA research fellowships as attached.
- Have completed at least a first university degree (undergraduate) at a state or state-recognized institution of higher education;
- Return to their studies at the end of the fellowship;
- Be nationals of an African country;
- Be granted leave of absence by their home institution for the purpose of conducting a field study.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the program.
Number of Awards: up to two scholarships for Master studies and up to four for scholarships for PhD studies at KNUST
Value of Award: The fellowship can be granted for field research conducted in any NELGApartner university or research institute. The grant is non-renewable. The fellowship does not provide financial support to research at the applicant’s host institution.
The fellowship consists of:
- A flat-rate travel allowance: EUR 280.- for in-country, EUR 430.- for neighbouring countries, EUR 630.- for in-region, EUR 980.- for out of region;
- A monthly research/study allowance of EUR 460.
The fellowship does not cover living expenses. It can only be awarded once per year.
Duration of Program: The Fellowship covers a research period from one month to a maximum of three months.
How to Apply: Applicants will be required to:
- register online via the DAAD-Portal: https://portal.daad.de/(link is external)
- apply online under the following link:
Applications for the NELGA research fellowships may be submitted throughout the year. For this specialized call we invite you to apply before June 30, 2019. The fellowship cannot start earlier than 3 months after the application.
Leave a Reply