The African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF) invites applications for the African Women Writers Workshop October 21 – 30 in Ghana.
Application Deadline: 24th June 2019.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Ghana
About the Award: This workshop is targeted at women writers, journalists and activists who wish to step-up their involvement in highlighting issues around women’s rights and social justice and who wish to improve and practice their personal writing skills. Participants will be expected to read widely from assigned selected texts, and to complete daily writing exercises. After the workshop, the participants are expected to use the knowledge acquired to write widely about social justice issues in and beyond their communities. Participants will also be required to produce at least two articles, blogs or longer pieces for use by AWDF.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following requirements
· Be from the African region, or the diaspora.
· Be a feminist or women’s rights activist
· Have high proficiency in English (verbal and written)
· Be an experienced writer (published or unpublished)
· Be available to travel to Ghana and stay for the entire 10-day session Young women writers between ages 21-35 are especially encouraged to apply.
Priority will be given to interested women writers (fiction & non fiction) journalists, academics who wish to actively engage in women’s rights activism.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: AWDF will provide the following to successful applicants · Round trip fare. Participants from the diaspora may be required to pay part of the cost of air fare depending on the budget · Full accommodation and meals · Workshop material and stationary
Duration of Award: October 21 – 30 2019
How to Apply: To apply, send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following:
· Contact details including name, email address, telephone
· A short bio (maximum 200 words)
· A sample article written by the applicant, about women’s rights or social justice -between 500 and 1000 words. The
sample maybe unpublished or published on any media. AWDF will not be responsible for any cases of alleged plagiarism