Women In International Security (WIIS) is pleased to open applications for the 2019 Next Generation Gender, Peace and Security (GPS) Symposium.
Application Deadline: 1st May 2019 11:59 pm EST.
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Washington, D.C. , USA
About the Award: The Next Generation GPS Symposium will convene an international cohort of 20-24 graduate students and young professionals for an intensive 5-day program examining international security challenges from a GPS perspective.
The 2019 Next Gen Symposium is a part of a larger WIIS initiative to bridge existing divides between the traditional security community and the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) community. Through this initiative, we seek to (1) advance knowledge about the gender dimensions of international security challenges; and (2) support a community of international security experts that is both diverse and knowledgeable about gender dynamics of complex international security challenges.
- Young professionals with an MA or higher academic degree; or graduate students currently enrolled in a Masters or Ph.D. program in international affairs, security studies, gender studies, anthropology, or a related discipline. (Recent graduates, as well as individuals who will be enrolled in a graduate program within the next academic year, will also be considered.)
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40; and
- Fluent in both spoken and written English.
- Available to participate in all days of the symposium.
- All genders are encouraged to apply.
Participants are required to present a research or writing project during the symposium and publish a blog and/or policy piece after the program.
The research or writing project should relate to either one of the following topics: great power politics, a great power’s foreign policy, nuclear security issues, gender dimensions of international security challenges, or the WPS agenda.
Number of Awards: 20-24
Value of Award: WIIS will cover economy-fare travel to and from Washington, D.C. as well as local accommodation.
Duration of Award: The symposium is scheduled to take place November 10-15, 2019.
How to Apply: Candidates must provide the following application materials:
- The complete application form
- Letter of interest which should clearly address the following:
- Why the applicant is interested in participating in the symposium;
- How the applicant’s experience, education, and general background would contribute to the Next Generation Symposium (list 2-3 potential contributions);
- Description of the applicant’s research and writing interests; and
- A specific explanation of how the symposium would enhance the applicant’s future career goals.
- Summary of the research or writing project the candidate would like to present (250-500 words).
- Two letters of reference submitted directly to WIIS at [email protected]. References should include the applicant’s name in the subject line.
All materials should be uploaded and submitted within the application form. Applications without all of the above material will not be considered.
Applications are due by May 1, 2019, 11:59 pm EST. Selected participants will receive formal invitations in early July 2019.
Go to Application
Visit Award Webpage for Details
Leave a Reply