ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises work with people living in poverty and exclusion; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America.
We are inviting applications from qualified candidates to fill this position available within the organisation:
Job Title: Education Project Coordinator – Breaking Barriers (NORAD) Project
Responsible to: Governance Manager
Line Management: None
- The Breaking Barriers (NORAD)Project Coordinator will be responsible for the overall coordination of a multi-country project in Sokoto&Lagos States and the Federal Capital Territory -Abuja in order to optimise the benefits and impact of the programme.
The post holder will provide project technical assistance in Lagos, Sokoto and Abuja in the following way:
- Support and build a strong, active movement of Civil Society Groups to strengthen, expand and support the teaching profession and ensure sustainable financing of teacher salaries.
- Ensure that Public education systems are more responsive to the needs of girls and marginalised children.
- Promote Public education policies, systems and support the reversal of privatisation of education (where evidence shows that privatisation has led to an undermining of equity for girls, minority groups and children with disabilities).
- Promote progressive tax system nationally through campaigning for tax justice or fair taxation as means of mobilizing resources internally to fund public education in Lagos and Sokoto states
- Drive effective budget advocacy in Lagos and Sokoto states to leverage increased resource allocation to the education sectors
The Coordinator will also support the following movement/union/coalitions in ensuring that the above is achieve:
- Nigerian Union of Teachers
- Tax Justice and Governance Platforms (TJ & GP) nationally and in the states
- Civil Society Action Education for All
- Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC
- Budget Network
S/he will support local partners at the State levels (Sokoto & Lagos) in carrying out community/school-based activities while also ensuring linkages at the international level and other countries (Malawi, Tanzania and Mozambique) to achieve the project objectives.
- Coordinate the BreakingBarriersProject in Sokoto, Lagos & Abuja and work at the State and National levels with relevant government agencies.
- Share experiences with other implementing countries (Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania) for programme quality.
- Coordinate activities of movement/union/coalitions.
- Coordinate activities of the state partners on programme delivery and ensure compliance with terms of reference in the memorandum of understanding.
- Prepare/revise work plans and budget plans in close consultation with AAN’s thematic lead
- Lead and ensure the effective implementation and management of project deliverables.
- Supervise and monitor progressagainst annual and quarterly work plans and budget plans.
- Provide strategic guidance on programme implementation by Project Partners.
- Ensure drafting of public press (Media) statements for review before release.
- Ensure timely (quarterly) submission of reports of monitoring and other incidental activities as required by the donor.
- Coordinate and supervise the project personnel, fixed assets, financial assets and other resources in accordance with ActionAidpolicies and procedures; and in line with donor agreement.
- Ensure that inputs for the realization of objectives of the projects are processed in a timely and transparent manner.
- Supervise the engagement with and mobilization of existing networks, professional and cluster groups, and platforms at national and local levels.
- Oversee, monitor, revise and ensure correct administrative and financial management of the project.
- Ensure effective implementation of the project.
- Obtain feedback from beneficiaries, stakeholders and other citizens, and document their experience and perspectives.
- Contribute to implementing AAN Country Strategy.
- Map and build strong relationships with key decision makers and stakeholders and represent the project to external contacts.
- Act as the intermediary between Partners and International project management team.
- Monitor, provide support; review the functioning and achievements of the Project.
- Create and manage relationship with the National and International project accountability team.
- Entire AAN staff
- People Living with Disability groups, Youth organisations,Nigerian Union of Teachers, LaborUnion, Tax Justice Network, Civil Society Action Education For all and other relevant professional bodies,organised private sector, Norwegian embassy in Nigeria, relevant government agencies and media
- First degree in Social Sciences or Arts/Humanities
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Membership of relevant professional Institute
- At least 7 years relevant experience
- Minimum of 4-year experience in a similar project role
- Experience on ProjectMonitoring and Evaluation
- Previous works on Social
- Investment initiatives, Accountability and good governance projects.
- History of working with and within CSO community.
- Knowledge of M&E, CSOs, media and youth movements landscape in Nigeria
- Experience in working in an International Development organisation
- Experience in community-based work and engagements with CSOs
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Highly numerate
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Proven strong and charismatic management and leadership skills and experience
- Excellent strategic planning skills
- Demonstrable IT skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political, community, and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community
- Appreciation for confidentiality
- A strong commitment to poverty reduction, accountability and good governance works
- A team player
- A strong commitment to human rights and socio- economic justice and proven track record in exercising human rights
- An appreciation of the need for innovative ways of learning and knowledge development
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to travel
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times
- Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision
- Effectively promote AAN’s mission, values and objectives
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Able to work accurately, with attention to details
Application Closing Date
3rd April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter & Curriculum Vitae in one document and MSWord attachment to: [email protected]Subject line of emails must state clearly, job title of position applied for and location e.g.Education Project Coordinator, Breaking Barriers Project – Abuja
Click Here to Download Application Form (MSWord)
Click Here for More Information
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Submitted CVs will be disregarded.
- Submitted applications for this position will be reviewed as received.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.