University of Nigeria Nsukka, UNN Postgraduate admission form for 2019/2020 academic session is out.
This is to inform all interested candidates. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into UNN Postgraduate Programmes for the 2019/2020 academic session.
University of Nigeria Nsukka award several postgraduate degrees such as Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), Masters degrees (MSc) and Doctorate degrees (Ph.D). Below are the details of the application process and admission requirements.
REQUIREMENTS FOR UNN POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION FOR 2019/2020 ADMISSION
i) Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in WASC or GCE or NECO or NABTEB including English Language. Candidates shall also possess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree and postgraduate programmes in their areas of interest for postgraduate studies.
ii) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who possess the above qualifications are eligible to apply.
iii) For the PGD in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
For the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
- PGD Programme
HND in Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, or in related disciplines with a minimum of Upper Credit or Third Class Bachelor’s Degree (with a minimum of 2:00 GPA).
- M.Sc Programme: Candidates seeking admission into M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics must have obtained as follows:
- HND (Upper Credit) in Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition and Dietetics plus PGD (Credit level) in Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2nd Class Honours (a minimum of 2.5 GPA) in Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Ph.D. or M.Sc/Ph.D Programme: Candidates seeking admission for Ph.D. degree programme or M.Sc/Ph.D. programme in Human Nutrition and Dietetics must have Master’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics, Human Nutrition and Dietetics with minimum GPA of 3.5 from a recognized institution.
For the Department of Home Science
- PGD: Candidates seeking admission for PGD in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institution:
- HND in Home Science, Home Economics or relevant fields with a minimum of Upper Credit.
- Third class Bachelor’s degree (with minimum of 2.00 GPA) in Home Science or Home Economics.
- M.SC: Candidates seeking admission for the Master of Science programme in Home Science must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institution:
- Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with a minimum of Second Class honours (Lower Division).
- Bachelor’s degree in Home Science or related discipline with 3rd class honours (with minimum of 2.00 GPA) plus PGD passed at Upper Credit level.
- HND Upper Credit plus PGD at Upper Credit level in addition to satisfying University matriculation requirements.
- Ph.D.: Candidates seeking admission into Ph.D. programme or firm registration in Home Science must have Masters Degree in Home Science, Home Economics or related discipline from recognized Institution.
- With minimum GPA of 3.5 or 60% without failed courses.
- Those with an average of 50% with outstanding course(s) will take them and as well proceed to their Doctorate programme.
- Those with an average of less than 50% will retake the entire courses.
UNN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
i) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained a degree of bachelor with at least a third class honours with GPA not less than 2.00 on 5-point or its equivalent.
ii) Holders of Credit (Upper credit) level passes at HND or its equivalent in relevant areas (for programmes in the Faculties of Agriculture and Business Administration; the Departments of Political Science, Public Administration & Local Government; and Vocational Teacher Education; and for Postgraduate Diploma in Electoral Administration Programme). Qualifications such as AIB, ACCA, ACMA, ICAN, BEEC, CPA, etc may also be considered for admission.
iii) Candidates with professional qualifications including HND must have obtained 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L including English and Mathematics for admission into degree courses in Business Administration.
iv) For Postgraduate Diploma in Geoinformatics & Surveying in particular, candidates with third class honours degrees in Geography, Geology and other Physical Sciences, HND Upper Credit level passes in related fields, are also eligible.
Candidates, who hold qualifications other than the above which are acceptable to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University, may also be considered for admission.
UNN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMMES
The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
(i) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second class honours with not less than 2.50 GPA;
(ii) Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
(iii) Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have scores of 50% or above;
(iv) For M.Ed. degree programmes, candidates with at least a good second class single honours degree in teaching subjects plus at least a merit level pass at Postgraduate Diploma in Education, or those who hold a third class honours degree in teaching subjects plus Postgraduate Diploma in Education passed at credit level or above;
(v) For MPA degree programme, candidates should, in addition to (i) and (ii) above, be serving administrative/managerial staff in the Public or Private sector with a at least two years post-qualification cognate experience;
(vi) Holders of professional Fellowship qualifications such a FIMLT, FNILT, NIPR, or their equivalents obtained through examination. However, candidates with the professional certificates listed above must have worked as Senior Technologist(s) or in equivalent position(s) for at least three years;
(vii) For MPH degree programme, candidates should in addition to (i) above, have at least three years relevant post qualification experience or at least a Second Class Honours degree in Nursing Sciences, Sociology and Social Work, Psychology, Medical Mircobiology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Health Education, Pharmacy, DVM, MBBS and BDS. For MPH Degree Programe, the Department will screen the candidates further and base their recommendation on such screening result.
(viii) Candidates who hold qualifications other than those listed above, which are acceptable to the Senate of the University of Nigeria
UNN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR DOCTORATE DEGREE (PH.D.) PROGRAMMES
Candidate from the University of Nigeria or from other recognized Universities who have obtained Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission. Specifically,
(i) A minimum Master’s degree GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in all Departments except those departments listed in C: (ii) below:
(ii) A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in the following Departments/Faculties: Music, Economics, Psychology, Education, Medical Sciences, Business Administration, Department of Public Administration and Local Government, Faculty of Law.
(iii) A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale or a B (60%) at Master’s degree average provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the Master’s Degree programme.
UNN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR MASTER’S/PH.D. DEGREE PROGRAMMES
(i) A candidate with first class honours from a recognized University may be admitted into a Master’s/Ph.D. programme in his/her discipline.
(ii) A candidate with Master’s degree from a recognized University with a GPA of 3.50 on 5-point scale or 3.00 on 4-point scale who wishes to do Ph.D. degree in a related area shall qualify for the Master’s/Ph.D. Any candidate who is not qualified for Ph.D. admission on account of low GPA is still not qualified for admission into Master’s/ Ph.D. programme.
(iii) For Faculties and Departments where the possession of Master’s degree with 4.00 points GPA and above is the condition for Ph.D admission, applicants with Master’s degree GPA of 3.50 and above, but not up to 4.00 may apply for Master’s/Ph.D admission. On completion of Master’s degree coursework specified by the Department, the candidate shall be qualified for a firm Ph.D. registration if he or she attains the GPA of 4.00 in the Master’s programme.
UNN ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR SANDWICH POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES.
1. M.Ed. Sandwich programmes of the Faculty of Education are run in the following Departments: Adult Education; Arts Education; Science Education; Health & Physical Education (Health Education, Physical Education & Recreation options); Social Science Education; and Vocational Teacher Education.
2. MLS degree sandwich programme is offered in the Department of Library & Information Science.
3. Sandwich Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), Postgraduate Diploma in Vocational Teacher Education (PGDTE) and
Postgraduate Diploma in Library & Information Science (PGDL) are based in the Institute of Education under Sandwich Programme.
NOTE: Candidates are advised to read through the current Postgraduate Regulation of the University for proper guide on the conditions for Postgraduate admissions in the University.
DURATION OF UNN POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES.
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations
(b) Master’s degree (Regular):
- A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 Semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed in c (ii) below.
- A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration.
- M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
- Ph.D. degree Programme – A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. (Ph.D. is not run as a Sandwich programme).
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration but not to exceed the maximum. (See Postgraduate Regulations).
HOW TO APPLY FOR UNN POSTGRADUATE ADMISSION FOR 2019/2020 ACADEMIC SESSION
Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee of N25,000.00 (Twenty five thousand Naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account”, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform.
Applicants should log on to www.unn.edu.ng and follow the procedures stated below:
- Click on UNN Portal or through this link unnportal.unn.edu.ng.
- Click on PG Application form to generate invoice for payment.
- Use your phone number to generate the invoice. You are advised to use a functional number to enable us reach you for the admission screening test.
- Proceed to any Bank with Remita platform for payment.
- Return to the UNN Portal with your payment confirmation pin from the Bank and follow the procedure for completing the form.
- While filing the Application Form, type your Area of Specialization in the space for Field of Study.
Candidates should download three (3) copies of the referee report (D1) forms after completing preliminary and personal details online. Some details on the form would be inserted automatically with the information provided by the candidate online while the remaining information should be completed by the referee manually and returned to the candidate who will enclose it in sealed envelope for submission. Please note that applications would not be processed unless the referees’ reports are available.
Candidate should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward their academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka” to reach him/her not later than 30th June, 2019. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School shall not have their application forms processed.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FORMS
Most information required would be completed online. However, a copy of the online completed application form should be downloaded and printed.
The printed application form with the relevant documents as listed below should be posted or delivered to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, for Nsukka based faculties.
Candidates for Enugu Campus based faculties are to submit their application forms by post or deliver them to the Deputy Registrar, School of Postgraduate Unit, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus.
For ease of reference, Enugu Campus based faculties and Institutes/Centre are: Business Administration; Environmental Studies; Health Sciences & Technology; Law; Basic Medical Sciences; Medical Sciences; Institute for Development Studies (IDS); Institute of Maritime Studies; Institute of Maternal and Child Health; Institute of Public Health and Centre for Environmental Management & Control (CEMAC). Candidates are advised to ensure that the following documents are enclosed in the file:
- Copies of their qualifying certificates/statements of result and NYSC discharge certificate (Exemption or Exclusion Certificate). Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted in lieu.
- Two copies of the Application summary form (D3) available online should be downloaded & printed:
- One copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a 10” X 15” brown envelope;
- The second copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a 9” X 13” white file jacket;
- All accompanying documents should be placed in the file jacket specified in (b.ii) and the File Jacket should be placed in the brown envelope as specified in (b.i) above.
All documents must fit into the 10” X 15” envelope and delivered or addressed and sent by courier to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria,Nsukka” and to the Deputy Registrar, School of Postgraduate Studies Unit, Enugu Campus for Enugu Campus based academic units.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
- All applicants will undergo computer based Postgraduate admission screening test.
- Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website unn.edu.ngfrom, Monday 1st July, 2019, for your further necessary action.
- Dates for the Screening Test: 19th July, 2019.
- For Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must have published at least an article from his/her Ph.D Thesis or obtained an acceptance letter from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
NOTE: For Ph.D. degree programme, a candidate must obtain at least an acceptance letter for publishing an article from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
All UNN Postgraduate application form for the 2019/2020 academic session closes on 31st March, 2019. Online sale of Application Forms starts from 1st March, 2019 and closes on 31st March, 2019.
Leave a Reply