ONE scholarship is available for full-time study for the Masters (by research only) or Doctoral degree in the Humanities Faculty in the field of Social Sciences, for study on land and Agrarian issues in Southern Africa, and/or democracy and development broadly, as well as epistemic issues in the study of Africa.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
Type: Masters (by research only) or Doctoral
To be taken at (country): South Africa
- Preference will be given to black South African citizens, although applications from students from the SADC areas will also be considered. Preference will be given to students who will register or are registered for the 1st year of Masters or Doctoral study in 2019.
- The Archie Mafeje Scholarship Is based entirely on academic merit. Applicants must have achieved the Honours degree with a minimum mark of 68% and/or a good Master’s degree.
Number of Awards: 1
Value and Duration of Award:
- The Master’s scholarship is valued at R75,000 per annum, with a further R10,000 travel allowance. The travel allowance must be applied for by the successful candidate separately. The tenure for the Master’s scholarship is one year, with a possibility of renewal for one further year.
- The Doctoral scholarship is valued at R90,000 per annum with a further R10,000 travel allowance.The travel allowance must be applied for by the successful candidate separately. The tenure for the Doctoral scholarship is one year, with a possibility of renewal for a maximum of two further years.
Conditions of Award:The successful candidate will be required to:
- Provide bi-annual reports reflecting academic progress.
- Undertake to comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practices on postgraduate funding, including repayment of the value of the Scholarship if satisfactory academic progress Is not made, or if the student fails to complete the degree or de-registers from the course of study.
How to Apply:Applicants are required to:
- Write a letter of application outlining the intended study and how she/he intends to use the study in her/his career in the future.
- Submit a CV of no longer than two A4 pages.
- Attach a certified copy of all academic transcripts (University only)
- Attach a certified copy of SA identity document or passport
- Attach 2 letters of reference from ACADEMICS who have taught her/him at University
- Provide a letter from the Course Convenor/Head of Department indicating that she/he has, or is likely to be accepted bythe department for study in 2018.
Applications along with all supporting documentation must be emailed as ONE PDF to [email protected].
LATE AND INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. The University reserves the right to cancel, withdraw and recover any funds paid to the award-holder if she/he does not comply with the Conditions of Award.
Visit Programme Webpage for Details