TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Marketing Specialist
- TechnoServe is currently looking for Senior Food Processing Advisers for a potential USAID-funded Agriculture Competitiveness Project in Nigeria
- The Project is designed to strengthen agriculture productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers
- The Project comprises three main components:
- Design of the Agriculture Competitiveness Fund for private sector partnerships and funding to catalyze technological innovations;
- Administration of the Agriculture Competitiveness Fund to develop private sector partnerships and provide grants; and
- Technical assistance that directly supports, coordinates, and organizes qualifying recipients (i.e., partners and grantees) to achieve the Mission’s food security objectives
- The Project will contribute to the Mission’s Feed the Future strategy, which looks to improve agriculture competitiveness of smallholder farmers in Nigeria.
- The Marketing Specialist will provide technical guidance on the commercialization of nutritious foods in Nigeria
- S/He will work closely with processors and retailers while identifying and developing innovative marketing strategies that will promote the availability of nutritious foods in a sustainable and profitable manner.
S/He will lead the following activity:
- Development of sales and distribution of nutritious food products from assisted processors to low income and vulnerable population markets
- Expected outcomes will include: improved availability of safe, nutritious food products for low-income consumers; increased sales of nutritious food products by targeted project-supported enterprises; increased job creation, including in the informal retail sector; lower transaction costs and reduced price of nutritious products for poorer consumers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify gaps at the processor and marketing levels in order to prioritize interventions to improve overall operational efficiency.
- Lead project activities targeting at improving marketing and processor efficiency for nutritious foods.
- Identify strategies to deepen penetration of BoP markets with nutritious foods, including new product development, packaging, pricing and promotion, and development of new distribution channels.
- Identification and mobilization of innovative distribution channels, building on existing structures where feasible, e.g. informal retailers, community-based distributors, micro- franchisees.
- Support Senior Food Advisers in processor selection and assessment to facilitate processor access to appropriate technical assistance and business finance.
- Engage stakeholders and lead the implementation of marketing strategies to effectively improve and promote consumption of nutritious foods among Base of Pyramid (BoP) consumers.
- Lead strategic planning and contribute to the implementation of activities related to market research, stakeholder engagement, market information systems and capacity development.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field including Food Science, Agriculture, Marketing (Master’s Degree preferred).
- At least 7 years’ experience in projects relating to either agribusiness, market research, and analysis, business development with a strong nutrition background.
- Track record of implementing market-led interventions targeted at developing supply chains.
- Experience with wholesale and retail food distribution, contract practices and financing preferred.
- Proven experience expanding access to food for BoP populations.
- Excellent understanding of Making Market Work for the Poor (M4P) approach
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint).
- Training and experience working in USAID projects is an added advantage.
- Fluency in English.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letters and CV’s in Word-formatted single document to: email@example.com Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line.
- We welcome hearing from qualified and interested applicants
- Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications
- No phone calls, please.