Each year, the Citizens Initiative Fellowship will support a selection of outstanding student proposals submitted by Fellows of the Citizens Initiative 3-week Workshop Program.
Application Deadline: 6th May, 2018
Offered annually?: Yes
Eligible Countries: Lancaster University (East Legon, Accra), Ghana
To be taken at (country): Ghana
Field/Level of Study: Currently Enrolled In College (All Grade Levels)
About the Fellowship:
WHAT WE DO
As a Social Impact Incubator, we take in students who have a strong commitment to tackle a specific community issue and equip them with the skills and resources to implement their solutions as projects, and eventually as organizations. Past fellows have tackled issues such as low STEM education amongst women, teenage pregnancy in high-risk areas, child rights and abuse, and many others!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Selected applicants will be invited to attend our 3-week residential workshop program. Fellows will participate in active learning and activity-based workshops (i.e. case studies, debates, model-building, research, presentations, etc.). Fellows will engage in experiential learning by immersing themselves in the communities where their issues of interest are prevalent. Following the 3-week workshop program, fellows will independently spend the next year developing and implementing their projects with our guidance. Citizens Initiative will support a selection of student projects in the form of seed funding, expertise, and local project management support. We want to see problems turned into solutions, solutions turned into projects, and projects turned into organizations!
- Be enrolled as a current university student or recent graduate (between ages 18-24)
- Applicant must live in the country of the program (Ghana)
- Submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Not have previously participated in a past Citizens Initiative Program
- Have no criminal record
- Be in good academic standing. Successful applicants generally have a 3.2 GPA and above, 75% and above using the regular university percentage scale, or 65% and above using the KNUST percentage scale (CWA standards)
- Demonstrate a strong desire to address an important issue affecting a community
- Be actively involved in organizations or have unique volunteering experiences
- Submit compelling responses to short essay questions
- Answer all the required questions in the application
Number of Awardees: 13
Value of Scholarship:
- Fellows will incur no major expenses. Citizens Initiative will cover all expenses including housing, food, and transportation to and from program site. However, selected fellows are required to pay a Participation Fee of 100GHC.
- Fellows will be prepared with skills and resources to launch and execute their social impact initiatives.
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year (But workshop program is only 3 weeks)
- Program Dates: June 12th, 2018 – July 1st, 2018
- June 12th (Move-In) | July 1st (Move-Out)
- Workshop Meetings: Monday – Saturday; 9am – 5pm (No Sundays)
- Housing Residence: Renel Global Hostel (East Legon, Accra)
How to Apply: Apply Here
- (After submitting your application, please send your resume or CV directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Award Provider: Citizens Initiative Inc.
- More details about the program will be released to accepted applicants.
- Please direct any questions that you may have about the program to: Email: email@example.com