Bangor University, UK, through the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) is pleased to announce that up to 5 fully-funded Commonwealth scholarships (each worth over £14,550 to cover tuition fees) are available for applicants from the following developing commonwealth countries below to study for our MSc Tropical Forestry by distance learning.
Application Deadline: 31st May 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Ghana, Guyana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
To be taken at (country): by distance learning from the following countries above.
Eligible Field of Study: to study for MSc Tropical Forestry
About Award: This postgraduate course is primarily intended for students who already have an interest in forestry and who wish to learn more about the environmental and societal benefits that tropical forests can provide. Suitable applicants include individuals working in forestry/forest-related industries/ natural resource management, particularly in the fields of planning, regulation, policy, monitoring, conservation and environmental protection. The course is also suited to individuals working in forestry education who wish to further their knowledge and expertise in order to improve their teaching.
Eligibility/Criteria: In order to be considered for a CSC scholarships, applicants are expected:
- to have at least an upper second class degree in a relevant subject (e.g. forestry, conservation, land management, natural sciences, economics). Relevant work experience is also valued. Applicants with a lower second class degree with relevant and sufficient work experience may also be considered.
- Regardless of English language ability and educational background, all applicants from Bangladesh, Cameroon, Mozambique, Pakistan, Rwanda and Sri Lanka are required to take an IELTS and obtain a minimum overall score of 6.5, if they wish to be considered for a CSC scholarship. In order for an award to be taken up in the 2018 academic year, the IELTS test must have been taken after October 2017.
- Applicants from the eligible countries do not need proof of English Language proficiency if they have studied their education through the medium of English.
- In order to study this course, students must have regular access to a computer with internet access, as the University cannot provide these to distance learning students.
- Applicants should ensure they are eligible for entry to the course and that distance learning is suitable for them before applying for a CSC scholarship.
- The scholarships are only available for entrants who are able to start the course in September 2018.
Number and Value of Scholarships:
- Up to 5 fully-funded scholarships are available
- A small study grant (GBP £150 a month) is provided to successful scholars to assist them with the costs of computing and internet access.
- The scholarship also includes a generous bursary to enable scholars to attend a compulsory two-week study tour which will be held in a country with notable tropical forest resources in July/August 2019.
Duration of Scholarship: for the period of study
How to Apply
- Applicants who do not apply directly to the CSC cannot be considered for a CSC scholarship on MSc Tropical Forestry (distance learning).
- Please note: The CSC online application portal will open on 1st April 2018
- After which you must seek to be nominated by Bangor University
- Applicants wishing to be considered for a scholarship must not apply to Bangor until they have received information that they have been shortlisted.
- Applicants who are shortlisted by Bangor University for the CSC scholarship will be contacted by email to arrange a telephone interview shortly after 31st May 2018.
- Shortlisted applicants will also be required to apply to Bangor University directly using the Bangor University online application form. We will then submit our nominations (5 nominees plus 5 reserves) to the CSC who will make the final decisions. We expect the CSC to announce their final decisions by July 2018.
It is important to go through the Application Process on the Scholarship Webpage before applying.
Visit Scholarship Webpage for details
AwardProvider: Commonwealth Scholarship Commission