The Faculty of Arts invites applications for the position of ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR OF AFRICAN STUDIES
Application Deadline: 5th April 2018
To Be Taken At (Country): Finland
About the Award: The successful applicant may be appointed to a permanent professorship or a fixed-term associate/assistant professorship (tenure track system), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage.
At the Faculty of Arts, African studies focuses on the cultures and languages of African countries. The research is characterized by the examination of extensive time spans and changes in linguistic, cultural and social phenomena, as well as historical and contemporary topics. Research and teaching in the field are closely connected to Middle Eastern studies as well as area and cultural studies.
The successful applicant will be a scholar with a wide range of research expertise in African cultures – particularly contemporary cultures – and proficiency in languages related to his or her research interests. Familiarity with Swahili and/or Somali is considered an asset.
A professor will carry out and supervise scientific research, provide teaching based on it, follow developments in research and participate in societal interaction in his/her field and in international cooperation. He or she shall also participate in the development of teaching and acquire research funding.
Type: Job, PhD
- An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and possess top-level scholarly qualifications and experience in the supervision of scientific research, along with the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching as well as to supervise theses and dissertations.
- In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary to serve as academic leaders.
- When assessing the qualifications of each applicant, attention will be paid to both scholarly and teaching qualifications. Scholarly qualifications include scientific publications and other research results of scientific value, success in obtaining external research funding, international research experience as well as international elected positions.
- When considering the teaching qualifications of each applicant, attention will be focused on teaching experience and pedagogical training, the ability to produce learning material, other teaching merits and, if necessary, a demonstration of teaching skills as well as participation in doctoral education.
- The applicant’s leadership and interaction skills as well as activity in the academic community will also be taken into account.
- To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must have good English skills. If the appointee is not proficient in Finnish or Swedish, he/she is expected to acquire moderate proficiency within a reasonable time after the appointment. Support for language studies is offered.
Value of Award:
- The salary for the position will be based on levels 8−10 (professor) and 7 (assistant/associate professor) of the requirement scheme for teaching and research positions in the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, a salary component based on personal performance will be paid.
- Annual gross salary for a full professor varies between 64,000 and 96,000 euros, and for an assistant/associate between 50,000 and 68,500 euros, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and experience.
How to Apply: Applicants are requested to enclose with their applications a single PDF file that includes the following documents in English:
1) A curriculum vitae
2) A report (max. 5 pages) on pedagogical expertise
3) A report (max. 5 pages) on the applicant’s research activities (including activities in scientific communities, the acquisition of research funding and international scholarly work)
4) A report (max. 2 pages) on how the applicant intends to develop his or her research and focus his or her activities, if appointed
5) A numbered list of publications.
- For instructions see HERE
- Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the Faculty may request them to submit up to 10 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
- Please submit your application, together with the required attachments, through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for job. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal
- Further information may be obtained from Jussi Pakkasvirta, Head of Department of Cultures, jussi.pakkasvirta(at)Helsinki.fi. or Ulla Tuomarla, Head of Department of Languages, ulla.tuomarla(at)helsinki.fi
Award Providers: University of Helsinki