The Africa Development Bank (AfDB) and the Nairobi Innovation Week (NIW) have partnered to run a joint innovation challenge that focuses on the Bank’s High 5 priorities; Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Eligible Countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Ethiopia
To Be Taken At (Country): Nairobi, Kenya
About the Award: The African Development Bank is stepping up the pace by focusing on five priorities that are crucial for accelerating Africa’s economic transformation. The Bank calls them the “High 5s”: Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Eligibility: Have an innovation addressing one of the AfDB High 5 priorities, namely:
- Be from the countries listed above: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and Ethiopia
- Have an innovation addressing one of the AfDB High 5 pillars, namely:
- Light up and power Africa
- Feed Africa
- Industrialize Africa
- Integrate Africa
- Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa
Selection Criteria: Interested Innovators should;
- Be over 18 years
- Submit a complete and eligible application
- Have a product or service that already has users or customers
- Have some market traction
- Have a clear business and operational model
- Have an existing team in the start-up
- Demonstrate impact
- Demonstrate evidence of sustainability
- Illustrate how their innovation addresses gender equality’
Value of Award:
For the top 5
- Travel costs to attend the NIW 2018 (a roundtrip economy class ticket and accommodation if coming from outside Kenya.
- An award of USD 1000 to support the innovation.
- A placard in recognition of the innovation.
- Opportunity to exhibit the innovation at the NIW2018.
- Opportunity to meet and interact with the Director General AfDB, East Africa Regional Development and business-orientedness Delivery Office.
For the top 50
- Be featured in the AfDB-NIW Special Edition Innovation Journal that will be a compendium of promising innovations from the region
- Have your profile displayed on the NIW.Startups, a platform for recognizing promising startups in the region
Duration of Program: Tue 6th – 23rd February, 2018
Winners will be announced on 28th February, 2018.
Award Providers: Africa Development Bank(Afdb) and Nairobi Innovation Week (NIW).