The IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, NY, USA and supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research. All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
The “IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program” will run for 5 years until September 2021.
- The program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical centre of excellence/ university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
- The program is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD.
- The grant covers TRAVEL and BASIC LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
The Grant Selection Committee (GSC) consists of the CDC Secretary for Grants Selection as Chair and has six other members, three from CDC and three others each representing Latin America, Africa and Asia respectively.
This program is administered by IMU-CDC and funded by the SIMONS Foundation.
Upcoming Deadlines for completed applications
- February 1, 2018 (Decisions will be made by March 30, 2018)
- June 1, 2018 (Decisions will be made by July 30, 2018)
- October 1, 2018 (Decisions will be made by November 30, 2018)
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Then send the application with all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD as one joint pdf document plus a picture of the applicant to CDC Grants via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit the completed bank information form which we need IN CASE you are selected for a grant.
The application form can be found here
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.