WorldFish in collaboration with Cefas has created an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to focus on aquatic animal health as a key barrier to achieving future food security from aquaculture
Application Deadline: 15th October 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To Be Taken At (Country): WorldFish’s HQ in Penang, Malaysia with significant travel to various countries in Africa, Asia and Pacific as well as to Weymouth, UK and project partner Cefas, UK.
About the Award: The Research Fellow will coordinate and conduct research on emerging aquatic animal health challenges as a component of the Fish Health and Nutrition Research Cluster of the CGIAR Research Program on FISH. S/he will be expected to lead research on emerging fish diseases (in one or more of the areas of pathology, diagnostics, epidemiology) and, in engaging international and national research teams in Bangladesh, Egypt, Malaysia and other WorldFish focal and scaling countries and partners, to deliver World quality research on aquatic animal health. By close co-ordination with scientists within the Aquatic Animal Health Theme at Cefas, S/he will develop a strong network of international collaborators, benefitting ongoing programmes at both Worldfish and Cefas and, in developing new opportunities for international project work in this discipline. Training in specific disciplines (e.g. pathology, molecular diagnostics, metagenomics, surveillance) will be available via Cefas.
- PhD in aquatic animal health (e.g. pathology, diagnostics, genetics, epidemiology, etc).
- At least three years related research experience demonstrating deep technical and communication (peer-reviewed publications, presentations) skills in aquaculture and aquatic animal health
- Demonstrable ability to perform critical thinking on research issues in complex logistical or organisational settings.
- Experience in fish health and/or disease (field sampling, pathology, molecular diagnostics).
- Knowledge of aquatic epidemiology (e.g. experience in the use of epidemiological models and software for statistical analyses) and, socio-economic impact assessments.
- Strong commitment to work on research with implications for FISH CRP and, its development outcomes and impact.
- Strong ethical commitment to organisational values of WorldFish and Cefas.
- Familiarity with software for data capture, storage, retrieval and analyses of data.
- Strong project and time management skills (incl. graduate student supervision).
- Ability and willingness to travel and able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong publications and resource mobilization track record.
- Experience with the private sector and/or international organizations.
- Relevant working experience in developing countries.
- Knowledge in “big data” applications and tools for disease surveillance and diagnostics.
Value of Award:
- This position is co-funded by WorldFish and Cefas and classified as an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position, based at WorldFish, Penang, Malaysia, with annual salary ranging between USD 42,000 – USD 46,000 per annum.
- WorldFish’s IRS receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Duration of Program: Interviews are expected to be held by end of October 2017. The successful candidate should be available to commence latest by November 2017 for an initial 2 years contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance of and the availability of funding. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
How to Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 15 October 2017:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Award Providers: WorldFish