The Glenna Luschei Prize for African Poetry is awarded annually to a book published in the previous calendar year by an African poet.
Application Deadline: 1st October, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African Countries
About the Award: This Pan African Poetry Prize, established to promote African poetry written in English or in translation and to recognize a significant book published each year by an African poet, is the only one of its kind in the world.
Each year, a significant African writer judges the contest. Open annually from May to October to submissions from authors and publishers, a winner will be announced in early December.
- The Luschei Prize for African Poetry is open to any book of original poetry, in English, published during the previous calendar year in a standard edition of a full-length collection of poetry written by any African writer. Books must be submitted in the year after their publication, which means that books published in 2016 may be submitted for consideration between May 1 and October 1, 2017.
- An “African writer” is taken to mean someone who was born in Africa, who is a national or resident of an African country, or whose parents are African.
- A standard edition is 48 pages or more in length.
- Only poetry submissions in English can be considered, but we welcome published works of translation for consideration.
- Self-published books are ineligible.
- Books published by the APBF and its African Poetry Series are ineligible.
- There is no entry fee but an entry form is required for each title submitted. The winner will be announced in December.
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Contest: USD $5,000
Duration of Contest: Open annually from May to October to submissions from authors and publishers, a winner will be announced in early December.
How to Apply:
- Download the Entry Form.
- Publishers may submit as many eligible titles as they wish. The publisher should send four copies of each book to the APBF, postmarked between May 1 and October 1, 2016.
- Uncorrected galleys (including PDF galleys) of books will be considered as long as the publication date falls within the period of eligibility.
- Please send four copies of each entry to the following address, postmarked between May 1 and October 1, 2017:
The Glenna Luschei Poetry Prize
The African Poetry Book Fund
110 Andrews Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0334
Books will not be returned but may be donated to the African Poetry Libraries Initiative.
Award Provider: The Glenna Luschei Prize for African Poetry