Abia State University, ABSU Part-time Postgraduate admission form for 2017/2018 academic session is out on sale. Application details (how to apply), eligibility criteria and deadline for submission of application have also been released.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the Part-Time Postgraduate Diploma (PGD, PGDE), Masters (M.Sc, M.Ed, LL.M, M.A) and Doctors of Philosophy (Ph.D, M.Sc/Ph.D, M.Ed/Ph.D, M.A/Ph.D, LL.M/Ph.D) programmes of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki for the year 2017/2018 academic session.
Abia State University Part-time Postgraduate Admission Requirements
The following are the minimum requirements candidates seeking admission into ABSU Part-time PGD, Masters and Doctorate programmes must meet;
General Entry Requirement:
All candidates seeking for admission into EBSU School of Postgraduate Studies must have a minimum of credit passes in O’Level English Language for all programmes. All candidates in Medical/Para-Medical Science, Pure and Applied Sciences and Science related programmes (Agricultural Sciences, Education etc) must have a minimum of credit pass in Mathematics.
However, candidates applying for a Postgraduate Degree in Management Sciences, Arts and Social sciences and Law may be considered with a pass in Mathematics. Nevertheless, courses like Economics, Accountancy and Banking and Finance are special exemptions requiring credit pass in O’Level Mathematics.
Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) Programme:
An applicant for admission into any course of study leading to Postgraduate Diploma of Ebonyi State University shall be:
- A holder of Bachelor’s Degree of the university or other institutions recognized by the Senate or
- A holder of the Higher National Diploma (HND) passed at Upper credit level in a related discipline or
- Holders of third class degree in an area shall normally be admitted to the PGD programmes. However, the candidate shall not have a CGPA below 2.00 points on a 5 point grade scale
- Holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) passed at Lower Credit level in a related discipline with relevant work experience.
Masters Degree Programme
- Graduates of the university or from other approved universities who have obtained the relevant degree with at least a good second class honours or its equivalent;
- Holders of EBSU Postgraduate Diploma or PGD from other recognized institutions who score a CGPA of not less than 2.5 on a 5- point grade scale or 60% average would be eligible for admission into the Masters programme. However, Departments such as Economics, Psychology, Nursing Science and Applied Biology are exceptions and require 3.00 or 3.50 CGPA on a 5-point grade scale for admission into Masters Degree programme.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Programme
- Graduates of approved universities who have obtained the degree of Masters relevant to the proposed study. A candidate seeking for admission into Ph.D programme from Masters programmes is expected to obtain a CGPA of not less than 4.00 on a 5 – points grade or 3.50 points CGPA on 4 – points scale.
- Master/Ph.D Programme: Candidates who have completed an M.Sc programme but were unable to make the required CGPA for Ph.D admission shall be admitted through M.Sc/Ph.D, M.Ed/Ph.D, LL.M/Ph.D, M.A/Ph.D programme as the case may be and would be required to take on Masters courses. They would however be required to proceed with Ph.D programme without presenting the dissertation provided they make a CGPA of 4.00 on a 5-point scale in Masters Course or 3.50 CGPA on a 4 point scale.
Duration of ABSU PGD, Masters and PhD Programmes
(i) Postgraduate Diploma: The duration for the PGD programme is 12 calendar months (3 semesters)
(ii) Masters Degree programme: The duration for Masters Degree programme is 24 calendar months (5 semesters)
(iii) Doctor of Philosophy programme: The duration for Doctor of Philosophy Degree programme is 3 years (6 semesters)
(iv) M.Sc/Ph.D programme: The duration for M.Sc/Ph.D programme shall be 4 years (8 semesters)
N/B: Candidates are expected to offer relevant course works and submit project reports at the end of each programme of study.
How To Apply For ABSU Part-time Postgraduate Admission For 2017/2018 Academic Session
(i) Prospective candidates are advised to visit EBSU portal http://portal.ebsu-edu.net/
(ii) They should fill in some required basic information.
(iii) They should pay the sum of N10,050 (Ten Thousand Naira and Fifty Kobo) non-refundable admission form fee into Zenith Bank, Ogoja Road, Abakaliki. Account No: 1010698081
(iv) They should then use the reference number generated by the system and log on to EBSU Portal portal.ebsu-edu.net and complete the application form
(v) Candidates are also free to pick pay slips from SPGS Finance office and process their applications for admission through EBSU ICT after payment of the requisite admission fee.
(vi) Submit the filled ABSU Part-time Postgraduate admission form online and print out hard copy of the acknowledgment for reference.
(vii) Applicants are to ensure that the online 3 referees’ form are promptly filled and submitted to EBSU PG School in hard copy along with candidate’s relevant credentials (photocopies of Certificates, etc).
(viii) Applicants are advised to arrange with their previous institutions to forward a copy of their transcript in hard copy to: The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki.
(ix) All candidates are expected to provide their e-mail addresses through which information could be sent to them. They are also required to provide their phone numbers through which SMS could be sent.
Application Closing Date
All applicants are expected to submit their ABSU Postgraduate Part-time admission application online as well as all hard copies of relevant forms not later than August 31st, 2017.