The World Bank AgriTech Challenge, powered by Nest, is the region’s first open innovation programme focused on agribusiness.
Application Deadline: 25th July 2017
Eligible Countries: Kenya
About the Award: The World Bank AgriTech Challenge is the first open innovation programme that bridges Kenyan techpreneurs with a vertically integrated agribusiness value chain. The 2-month long co-creation activity will include integration-focused workshops, one-on-one interactions with industry veterans, and structured product development. Each team will aim to develop a prototype or customize a solution in partnership with experienced operational professionals. These will be then presented to senior executives and investors at a Demo Day for potential commercial adoption and scale.
As one of the largest contributors to Kenya’s economy, there is tremendous opportunity to drive value creation and impact through innovation in agribusiness. The World Bank AgriTech Challenge aims to collaboratively prototype solutions that drive productivity, accountability and operational insight in the agribusiness value chain. Here are some of the pressing challenges we’d like to work together to solve:
- How can we digitise the way in which produce is tracked from farm to shelf?
- How can we facilitate seamless communication between farmers and field technicians?
- How can we digitally monitor farm productivity and wastage and drive insights to enhance yield?
- How can we digitise the monitoring of product quality, packaging and shipment across the value chain?
Eligibility: The World Bank AgriTech Challenge is looking for multidisciplinary teams that are passionate about AgriTech. You could be a startup, a promising SME, a team of agribusiness / logistics / supply chain technologists, or even a bunch of college students with a compelling idea and the ability to execute.
Selection Criteria: Teams will be chosen based on commercial & tech viability of the proposed solution, overall application quality & articulation, team profile and multidisciplinary expertise, as well as strategic fit with the programme objectives.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Accelerated product development: A chance to work with a leading, established industry player to build, test and potentially scale your solution
- Resources: Access to the insights, internal infrastructure and operational excellence developed by the World Bank and one of the region’s most successful agribusiness corporates
- Mentorship: One-on-one guidance from agribusiness veterans, integration consultants and startup capacity building experts
- Intros to senior executives and investors: A platform to present a your solution to senior industry executives and quality investors
Duration of Program: Aug 21-Oct 6 2017 (7 weeks)
Pre selection 1-on-1 engagement: Monday 17 – Tuesday 25 July **
Pitch day and notification of final selections: Monday 31 July
Program begins: Week of 21 August
Demo day: Friday 6 October
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Providers: World Bank, Nest