The Ghana Climate Innovation Center (GCIC) announces a call for applications from qualified Ghanaians for the position of a Policy Fellow.
Application Deadline: 30th July, 2017
Eligible Countries: Ghana
About the Award: The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) is coordinating the Policy and Regulatory framework of the Programme. The main objective of the Policy and Regulatory Programme is to improve the overall enabling environment for climate technology industries in Ghana.
The GCIC programme aims to establish local institutional capacity to support Ghanaian entrepreneurs and new ventures involved in developing profitable and locally-appropriate solutions to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Centre, the selected fellow will be an advocate of policies that enhance climate technology sector and SMEs. He/she will also be responsible for the design of the policy and advocacy strategy of the Centre. More specifically, the position holder will:
- Design and implement programmes (workshops, stakeholder briefings, press releases etc) that advocate favourable policies to enhance climate technology business in Ghana;
- Manage the Policy and Regulatory Support Desk and Program in general;
- Liaise with government regulatory agencies to facilitate approvals for technology products registration applications;
- Represent the GCIC in all stakeholder forums and workshops;
- Support awareness creation activities by the Centre, targeting government, civil society, business community and the general public.
- A Masters or PhD. Degree in Environmental Science or Policy Analysis, Natural Resource, Environmental Economics, International Environmental Law, or a related discipline;
- At least six years of relevant work experience in policy analysis related to natural resource management and conservation, preferably in an international environment;
- Knowledge of the principles, theories and tools for the analysis of legal and policy issues related to natural resources management, biodiversity conservation and environmental protection;
- Good writing, presentation and communication skills; and demonstrated experience in organising training workshops, conferences, and fundraising activities, as well as forging partnerships with international agencies, national institutions and NGOs; and
- Excellent communication and drafting skills, with fluency in both oral and written English. Good working knowledge of French language would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) is required.
- Good interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- This is a local recruitment for Ghanaians only.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: Competitive remuneration that is commensurate with experience and qualification.
Duration of Program: Initial contract for one year renewable up to a total of four years based on satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email to (firstname.lastname@example.org), mail or courier to UNU-INRA. PMB, KIA Accra. 2nd Floor, International House. University of Ghana Campus, Legon, Accra.
Application must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae with a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from United Nations University website at http://unu.edu/about/hr. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- full contact information of three (3) referees; and
- an indication of the reference of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/INRA/PF-GCIC/01).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Award Providers: United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA)