The MJ Bear Fellowships identify and celebrate digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of new media.
Application Deadline: 20th July 2017
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: United States or Canada and International
About the Award: Each year, ONA recognizes three fellows— two in the United States or Canada and one international. The fellows are up-and-coming journalists who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and working to expand the boundaries of digital news.
Fellows are focused on developing a digital project, which might include experiments in social media, a unique approach to news coverage, creative data visualizations or other digital approaches. Through the course of the one-year fellowship, these early-career journalists receive guidance from industry leaders and opportunities to share their work with the digital journalism community.
The fellowship is designed for up-and-coming journalists between the ages of 23 and 30 who are just beginning to make their voices heard in the industry and who are working to expand the boundaries of digital news through ongoing creative and innovative projects. Fellows can be working inside or outside the newsroom, and we encourage freelance and independent journalists to apply.
- The fellowship is open to working journalists under 30 who are leading a digital journalism project.
- Applicants can be working either for a company or organization or be self-employed.
- ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Applicants in 2017 must be born between Oct. 6, 1987 and Oct. 5, 1994.
- Full-time students are not eligible for this fellowship.
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Award: The fellowship is designed to provide support and guidance to fellows on both their projects and their own professional development.
Each Fellowship provides:
- Three online workshop sessions with a Personal Advisory Board.
- Registration, travel and accommodations for the Online News Association Conference & Awards Banquet
- Recognition at the ONA conference
- ONA membership, with three years’ dues paid in full
Duration of Program: 1 year
- Fellows announced: end of August
- ONA Conference: Oct. 5-7, 2017
How to Apply: The application has five parts. Applications and all submitted materials must be in English.
Award Providers: Online News Association