PhD Research Fellowship for scholars from Developing Countries in Biotechnology, India 2017
Application Deadline: 25th July 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Fields of Study:
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
About Scholarship: The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and TWAS, Italy have instituted a postgraduate fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in Biotechnology, tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years. The language of instruction is English.
Who is qualified to apply: Applicants for these research fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India);
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering;
- For SANDWICH Fellowships: Be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (sample is included in the application form);
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships: be willing to register at a university in India;
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country;
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form);
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Number of scholarship: Several
Value of Scholarship: DBT will provide a monthly stipend to cover for living costs, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency. In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
Duration of Award: Up to five years.
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India.
How to Apply: Before applying it is recommended that applicants read very carefully the application guidelines for detailed information on eligibility criteria, and other key requirements of the application procedure.
Sponsors: The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, and The World Academy of Science (TWAS), Italy
Important Notes: Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country, or may enrol in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India. However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list.