Share your innovative idea at the Falling Walls Lab, win a scholarship and travel to the Finale in Berlin.
- Falling Walls Sudan: 20th August 2017
- Falling Walls Egypt: 19th July 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Egypt, Sudan
To be taken at (country): Germany
Eligible Field of Study: The competition is open to Bachelor and Masters students, PhD candidates, postdocs, junior professors and entrepreneurs.
- Outstanding talents, innovators, high potentials.
- All disciplines are welcome.
About the Award: Falling Walls Lab is an international forum aimed at promoting interdisciplinary connections between excellent academics, entrepreneurs and professionals from all fields. Each successful entrant will have three minutes to present their idea at the event. They must identify which ‘wall’ they want to break – which problem their research and ideas will help to solve.
Winners of the international Labs will be invited to the Falling Walls Lab Finale in Berlin, where they will again give their three minute presentations, before three overall winners are selected. Each winner is then invited to speak at the Falling Walls Conference on 9th November, which features presentations from some of the world’s most prominent scientists.
Offered Since: 2011
Type: Entrepreneurship Contest
- If an applicant has a Bachelor’s degree, the degree should not date back more than 10 years.
- If an applicant has a Master’s degree, the degree should not date back more than 7 years.
- If an applicant has a PhD, the degree should not date back more than 5 years.
- Postdocs and students currently enrolled in university are also eligible to apply.
Selection Criteria: The jury looks at three different criteria:
- The “breakthrough factor”: indicates if an idea is a real innovation, if it is original and catchy and has the potential to inspire other ideas.
- The relevance and the scope of impact of your work: Does it make a valuable contribution to progress; does it address an existing or imminent problem or even offer solutions to it?
- The presenter and presentation itself: Did the participants deliver their presentations well? Did they explain their ideas in a clear and understandable way? Does the presenter show a proof of concept?
- Present your research project, business plan, entrepreneurial or social initiative that is relevant to the world of today – in 3 minutes!
- Convince a top-class jury with members from academia, research institutions and business.
- Exchange insights on an interdisciplinary level with fellow researchers and professionals.
- Get involved in exciting discussions and network with excellent scientists and professionals.
Number of Awardees: 3 Finalists, 1 Winner
Value of Scholarship: A distinguished jury selects the winner who
- travels to Berlin on 8 November 2017
- qualifies directly for the Lab Finale in Berlin on 8 November 2017 as one of 100 international and interdisciplinary participants (travel costs and accommodation are covered).
- is awarded a ticket for the international Falling Walls Conference on 9 November 2016 where some of the world’s most prominent scientists from around the world present their current breakthrough research in 15 minutes each.
How to Apply: visit the Program Webpage to apply
Award Provider: Falling Walls Foundation
- Interested candidates are advised to please make sure that you have chosen the Lab closest to your location. Keep in mind that travel and accommodation expenses are not covered.
- Candidates that have already participated in a Falling Walls Lab as a presenter are no longer eligible to apply.
- Applications must be filled out in English! Applications in other languages will not be accepted.