The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is calling for environmentally-conscious, socially-aware journalism students worldwide for its 8th General Assembly.
Application Deadline: Friday 14th July 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Vancouver, Canada
About the Award: The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Youth Correspondent 2017 will select two youth correspondents who can engage their peers by covering the FSC General Assembly with originality, accuracy and inspiring reporting.
The journalism students will be selected by the FSC Communications Unit to attend the GA and act as FSC Youth Correspondents – reporting for youth, by youth.
To ensure full coverage of the FSC GA 2017, roles and responsibilities for the youth correspondent could include:
- Writing, editing and feeding stories about the activities and outcomes of the FSC GA 2017, and its side events, into international, regional and local media networks and communities (ensuring equal regional media coverage).
- Attending events and roundtables in order to interview and profile key guests and delegates.
- Reporting throughout the event – getting comments and opinions from delegates that can be broadcast on various channels.
- Using a variety of tools and techniques to keep articles and other related work engaging – including taking photos and recording sound and video.
Eligibility: The ideal candidate should:
- Demonstrate excellent writing skills in English.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a journalism/communications degree at the time of application. Students in forestry/environmental sciences related degrees with the above required writing skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Be between the ages of 18 to 26.
- Not be working as a professional journalist at the time of the event.
- Have a good working knowledge of English (Spanish, or additional languages desirable).
- Be available to travel on and around the dates of the FSC GA 2017 (9 to 13 October 2017).
- Be in possession of a valid passport, which does not expire before 31 October 2017.
- Not have any legal reasons to be denied a visa to enter Canada.
Selection Criteria: Journalistic experience (student newspapers, online contributor etc.), especially in environmental, social issues, social policy, or business reporting.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Program: The successful applicant will receive:
- Return flights on economy class to Vancouver
- Reimbursement of visa application fees
- Accommodation (sharing) in a hotel in Vancouver
- All meals and a small stipend will be provided
Duration of Program: 9 to 10 October 2017
How to Apply:
- CV or resume including full contact details, education, volunteer and working experience (max. 2 pages).
- A brief cover letter in English detailing why you want to be the FSC Youth Correspondent 2017 and how your experience would help you to achieve the deliverables (max. one page).
- Copies of, or links to, three examples of your work (articles, blog posts, videos etc.), preferably on environmental issues.
- Desirable: A letter supporting your application from a teacher, professor, mentor, professional journalist etc.
Please send all applications to email@example.com with ‘FSC Youth Correspondent 2017 application’ in the header, or post your application to:
FSC Youth Correspondent 2017 Application
53113 Bonn Deutschland / Germany
Award Provider: Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)