Are you a champion of open science and open data? Mozilla is seeking researchers eager to advance openness in science and data within their institutions.
Application Deadline: 14th May, 2017 at 11:59PM EDT.
Eligible Countries: All. As long as interested candidate is legally allowed to work in the country they currently reside in.
About the Award: We’re looking for researchers with a passion for open source and data sharing, already working to shift research practice to be more collaborative, iterative and open. Fellows will spend 10 months starting September 2017 as community catalysts at their institutions, mentoring the next generation of open data practitioners and researchers and building lasting change in the global open science community.
Throughout their fellowship term, chosen fellows will receive training and support from Mozilla to hone their skills around open source, data sharing, open science policy and licensing. They will also craft code, curriculum and other learning resources that help their local communities learn open data practices, and teach their institutional peers.
Eligibility: Fellows must be:
- be currently employed at a research institution
- have the ability to accept outside funds for this fellowship directly (i.e., not distributed through the institution)
- be an early-career researcher (i.e., graduate students, post-docs, research scientists, lecturers)
- specialize in scientific research: physical, life, social, library, or natural sciences
- be able to travel
- obtain support from their advisors. As fellows will be based at their home institutions, please note that a letter of support from their advisor is mandatory for consideration
- have experience participating in open communities
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: Fellows will receive:
- a stipend of $60,000 USD, paid in 10 monthly installments
- a one-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $3,500 for single Fellows to $7,000 for a couple with two or more children
- a one-time childcare allotment of up to $6,000 for families with children
- an allowance of up to $3,000 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship
- coverage in full for all approved fellowship trips – domestic and international
Duration of Fellowship: 10
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Provider: Mozilla
Important Notes: Fellows are encouraged to continue their personal research for up to 20% of their time during the course of their fellowship (i.e., one day a week). Fellowship applicants must have buy-in from their supervisors in advance, and include Advisors’ contact information on the application. Advisors will be interviewed separately should applicants move on to the second round, and their support will be a critical consideration for acceptance of fellows.