As part of its Research and Capacity Building Program, the African Water Association is setting up research fellowships for young water and sanitation professionals in West Africa.
Application Deadline: 28th February, 2017.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Field of Research: The topics selected for this scholarship program for the 2016-2017 academic year are as follow:
1. Non-revenue water
2. Water quality
3. Water services provision in low income urban areas
4. Faecal sludge management
5. Urban & peri-urban sanitation
6. Use of ICTs in water and sanitation service provision
About the Award: This program, funded by USAID West Africa through the AfriCap Program (WASH – African Water Association – AfWA – Capacity Building Program –AfriCap), will provide young graduate students at the graduate level (Master II) with research scholarships. Each grant, amounting to $ 1,000, will reward each selected project in accordance with the budget.
Type: Research, Fellowship
Eligibility: Candidates for the award of a scholarship shall formulate their research topics in relation to one of the themes proposed in this call for applications. They may also apply with one of the research topics proposed by one of AfWA members. The topics will be available on AfWA’s website. To apply, applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Be a citizen of a West African country;
• Have duly registered in their academic institutions;
• Speak and write fluently in the language used by the academic institution;
• Have obtained an average greater than or equal to 12/20 or B in Master I;
• Present an application file including the last diploma, the transcripts of Master 1, the curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation (one should be from the academic supervisor), the research proposal as specified in section 1.3 above, a letter of motivation and a plan of action for the studies.
In case of equality, preference will be given to the female candidate.
Selection: A first screening will be carried out by the academic institution. This will enable it to select and transmit the five best applications to AfWA. AfWA’s Selection Committee for the award of scholarships to Young Professionals, on the basis of the applications submitted by the various institutions, will establish the final list of beneficiaries.
Value of Scholarship: As part of this scholarship, the maximum amount allocated per beneficiary is 1,000 US Dollars. Sixty per cent (60%) of this amount will be paid to the recipient when the detailed plan of the research project is finalized, approved by the Research Director and received by AfWA’s Research and Capacity Building Program before the deadline. The remaining forty percent (40%) will be paid once the recipient submits the final electronic copy.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit their application electronically simultaneously to the contact person of AfWA in their institution and to the coordination of the program (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Award Provider: AfWA (African Water Association)
Important Notes: The selected list will be posted on AfWA’s website and each beneficiary will receive an official notification from AfWA.