LAUNCH Food is a global call for innovators, entrepreneurs, or intrapreneurs with big ideas for improving health outcomes by enabling people to make healthy food choices.
Application Deadline: 7th December, 2016
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): venue to be confirmed
About the Award: LAUNCH is looking for a balanced portfolio of innovations (game-changing early stage prototypes) and solutions (post-pilot solutions with the potential to scale within 2 years) that address supply, demand, or both, but offer impact at the level of an individual’s personal consumption. We are open to solutions that address any point in an individual’s life journey, from birth on.
LAUNCH is particularly motivated to support solutions that:
- Promote inclusion, gender equality, and women’s empowerment
- Are appropriate at the local level with the potential to scale regionally or globally
- Offer the potential to impact impoverished, disenfranchised and other vulnerable populations in developing markets, even if this was not the original purpose of the innovation
- Plan for a changing world (increasing occurrence and severity of natural disasters, water availability, population growth and changing population demographics, increased pressures on protein demand, increased need for food storage, increased need for sustainable fertilisers, need for improved price resilience, need for reduced food loss, changing funding landscape, increasing urbanisation, growing inequity, among others)
- Show a solid understanding of what comprises ‘good’ nutrition (bioavailable, nutrient rich, diverse diet, breast feeding, etc.) per FAO/WHO guidelines
- Improve the variety of food on the plate
- Acknowledge that eating is fundamentally a human experience, at turns social, nurturing, cultural, and necessary for survival
- Are mindful of the end consumer
- Shift the drivers and incentives that promote current poor health outcomes
- Promote the evolution of existing markets, or the development/expansion of new markets
Eligibility: The challenge is open for anyone to apply. Responses from academics, companies (small or large), entrepreneurs, inventors, non profit organisations, research institutions, national laboratories, government agencies, social enterprises and funders are welcome. Cross-discipline and cross-geography teams are highly encouraged to apply. ‘Innovations’ may be at the stage of functional prototype up to market-ready solutions. Applicants ready to be supported by industry partners or ready to scale will receive the most benefit from the LAUNCH experience.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be evaluated on:
- Potential for improving health outcomes
- Technical feasibility and practicality of use
- Pathway to scale
- Sustainability of the innovation/solution
- Evidence of potential for application in lower-income and underserved communities and/or developing markets and countries
- Strength of project team and leadership
- Does your innovation deliver a triple bottom line: increasing producer incomes, improving nutrition and sustaining the environment?
- Is your innovation capable of speaking to the illiterate, the poor, those with no schooling, and helping them make healthy choices?
Number of Awardees: 1
Value of Contest: Selected innovators will receive access to a network of key stakeholders across disciplines, sectors and industries who stand ready to accelerate the trajectory of their innovations into the marketplace.
LAUNCH will cover travel, lodging, food, and other necessities for one member of each team to attend the LAUNCH Food Forum. Also:
Assistance with articulating a compelling narrative and growth strategy to create a concise, high-impact presentation, which will be streamed live during the Forum and recorded for future use.
Ongoing acceleration support, leveraging the LAUNCH network to unlock opportunities.
Public recognition from LAUNCH and its partner organisations.
Media and public relations training and exposure, including a professional video of your innovation story, which will be featured on LAUNCH.org.
Continued engagement with, and access to, the LAUNCH network beyond this challenge cycle
No cash prize will be awarded.
How to Apply: It is important to go through more detailed information on the LAUNCH Food application before applying.
Visit Contest Webpage for details; http://www.launch.org/challenges/food
Award Provider: Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the U.S. Agency for International Development, LAUNCH Food