The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation fellowship offers sustained support to intellectuals who are recognized for their productivity, their commitment to communicating their findings to the public, and their ability to imagine innovative solutions to some of the major issues facing society.
Application Deadline: 4th December 2017 11:59 p.m. (PST)
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Candidates for a fellowship must be Canadian citizen or foreign citizens legally allowed to reside in Canada for the period that they would benefit from the funding.
To be taken at (country): Canada
Fields of Study: Humanities and social sciences, and specifically one or more of the following themes:
- Human Rights and Dignity
- Responsible Citizenship
- Canada in the World
- People and their Natural Environment
About the Award: Each year, up to five fellows are appointed by the Foundation, namely Canadian researchers in the “General” category and researchers who are not affiliated to an university in the “Visiting” category. The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation encourages research, reflection and action in four areas important to Canadians: human rights and dignity, responsible citizenship, Canada’s role in the world, and people and their natural environment. The Foundation works through four programs: it grants doctoral scholarships, it awards fellowships to distinguished academics, it appoints mentors and it holds public conferences.
- Researchers active in a field of the humanities and social sciences related to one or more of the Foundation’s four themes; and
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or citizens of foreign countries legally allowed to reside in Canada for the funding period.
Selection Criteria: Nominations will be evaluated based on the following:
- Trudeau project (required for the regular fellowship and optional for the visiting fellowship)
- Commitment to engage the Foundation community of scholars, mentors and fellows
- Communication and engagement
- Leadership and innovation
Selection Process: When nominations close, the Trudeau fellows are selected through a rigorous selection process that involves the following steps:
- The file review and selection process takes place from December to April and may include an interview stage.
- The Application and Nomination Review Committee approves the recommended applications.
- The Foundation Board of Directors gives final approval.
Number of Awardees: 5
Value of Fellowship:
- A $150,000 allowance over three years for research, travel and networking;
- A $50,000 award;
- A $25,000 allowance to cover the cost of participation in Foundation events.
- Support from an outstanding community of scholars, fellows and mentors, and opportunities for interaction with 350 leaders and personalities in every sector of the humanities and social sciences;
- Involvement in lively exchanges with other researchers and policy makers;
- The opportunity to contribute to public dialogue and share innovative ideas at events organized by or in conjunction with the Foundation;
How to Apply:
Award Provider: The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation