African Leadership Academy, South Africa offers scholarships for its 2-year Pre-University Program on Entrepreneurial Leadership and African Studies 2016
Application Deadline: 31st August, 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African students
To be taken at: African Leadership Academy, South Africa
About Scholarship: In supporting the education of talented students and empowering young people to lead change across Africa, the African Leadership Academy seeks to enrol the most outstanding young leaders from across Africa and around the world. ALA is not only looking for young people who are smart and excel in the academic environment, but are also looking for young people with the potential to lead and impact the world around them through their courage, initiative and innovation.
Offered Since: 2012
Selection Criteria and Eligibility: ALA’s application and selection process is very rigorous to ensure that the most outstanding students from across Africa with the potential to drive change are selected.
ALA is looking to enrol young people aged 16 to 19 based on the following criteria:
- Leadership potential
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Passion for Africa
- Commitment to Service
- Academic Achievement
Number of Scholarships: Several
Value of Scholarship: All applicants who are selected as finalists will be given financial aid forms as a part of their finalist information package. Applying for financial assistance is strictly optional.
- Students receive financial support for fees, uniforms, books and supplies, transportation, accommodation, and stipends.
- Students benefit from enrichment in skill areas relevant to employment success, such as critical thinking, communications, and entrepreneurship.
- Students will receive support during their transition into secondary school, university or the workforce with mentoring, career counselling, internships, leadership development, and other life skills coaching.
- An integral component of the Program is the commitment from the Scholars to give back to their communities and countries of origin. Students will demonstrate this commitment through volunteerism and community service, as well as other forms of experiential learning.
- Graduates of the Scholars Program will be connected through an alumni network that offers information, resources, and opportunities to consult with other graduates.
Duration of Scholarship: Two Year Pre-University Program
How to Apply: Candidates this year can apply online through an application portal.
Visit application webpage for details to apply
Sponsors: MasterCard Foundation
Important Notes: African Leadership Academy will perform a detailed review of each application for financial assistance, including copies of any employment contracts of the applicant’s parent/guardian. An ALA assessor will visit the home of each financial aid applicant and will interview references as a part of the financial need determination. Final decisions will be made by a financial aid review panel that includes ALA staff members, governors, and independent financial professionals.