The World YWCA offers short-term internships for young women from Africa from the movement who are passionate about women’s rights and global change.
Application Deadline: 23rd February 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Mali, Djibouti, Sierra Leone, Namibia and Zambia
To be taken at (country): Geneva, Switzerland
Field of Internship: As part of the World Office team in Geneva, Switzerland, the internship provides opportunities to develop expertise on global issues particularly in the World YWCA’s global focus areas of:
- Transformative young women and girls’ leadership
- Violence against women and girls
- Child, early and forced marriage
- Peace and justice
- Sexual reproductive health and rights
- Economic empowerment and information and communication technology
- Social, economic and environmental justice and faith and culture.
About the Award: Are you interested in women’s rights, economic empowerment, women’s health, peace and security? Do you come from Mali, Djibouti, Sierra Leone, Namibia and Zambia? Then you might be the right person to join our African Women Ambassador Internship programme in Geneva this spring.
These experiences are truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for young women to grow and to develop their leadership. Not only will they benefit personally, but the internship programme is intended to increase the number of globally experienced and trained young leaders who will return to their associations to share what they have learnt and to pass on their skills. We urge you to encourage the young women in your association to apply to World YWCA Internship Programme.
Offered Since: 2016
Eligibility: Young Women from Mali, Djibouti, Sierra Leone, Namibia and Zambia between 22-29 with good written and oral English or French, a Bachelor or Master’s degree in international relations or similar studies. Applicants must also possess:
- The ability to be flexible, independent and creative with a desire to learn
- A willingness to take initiative and to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- A strong commitment and passion in achieving women’s rights and leadership.
- A good working knowledge of English or French, oral and written is essential.
- Information Communication and technology competencies related skills will be an advantage
- Applicants must be between 22-29 years of age.
- ABachelor’s degree is required. Amaster’s degree will be an advantage
- A clearly articulated motivational letter is also required
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Programme: The Internship will provide various benefits for entrants of the two positions:
Short term Internship Programme:
- Costs and Provisions
- Travel: Participants must possess a valid passport. The World YWCA will assist with letters of invitation and advice to facilitate the visa process, however it is the responsibility of the intern and her national association to obtain a visa for the country concerned.
- The World YWCA will cover the most economical and direct route airfare from and to the home country of the participant. Any additional contributions by the national association to the travel and accommodation costs would be greatly appreciated as funding for this programme must be continuously sought.
- Accommodation and Health Care: The World YWCA is responsible for the accommodation, basic food allowance, local transport and health insurance.
Duration of Programme: 3 months
How to Apply: Fill in the application form below, send your CV, motivation letter and degree specialization by email to the Human Resources Officer at:
Award Provider: Young Womens Christian Association