The University of Edinburgh UK will offer 45 Principal’s Career Development PhD Scholarships for students starting their PhD research in the 2016-2017 academic session.
Application Deadline: 1st February 2017 | Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: UK/EU and International students
To be taken at (country): University of Edinburgh, UK
Subject Areas: Scholars will usually focus on one career development area. These include:
- Public Engagement
- Data Science
About Scholarship: In order to attract the best and brightest PhD students, the University of Edinburgh seeks to offer not only unparalleled research facilities and superb supervision, but also to provide development opportunities which will support our research students as they progress beyond their PhD, through an innovative programme of integrated research, training and career development.
This exciting new scholarship scheme provides a valuable opportunity for postgraduate research students to undertake a package of training and development which will help them to develop the necessary skills required to meet their career choices and offer them a breadth of development opportunities in areas such as teaching, public engagement, entrepreneurship, and research.
- The awards are open to UK, EU and overseas students applying to start their first year of study for a research degree in 2017-2018. Award applicants should contact the School with whom they intend to study before applying for the award to ascertain whether the funding is available for the discipline involved.
- Applicants must have already applied for admission to a full-time PhD research programme of study at the University. Applicants intending to study a part-time PhD research programme will only be considered for the scholarship if they have the approval of the School they wish to study with.
- Candidates are required to have good English Language skills with scholarship applicants normally requiring a minimum IELTS of 7.0 achieved within the past two years. Please check the Entry Requirements for your proposed programme of study for details of other acceptable English language qualifications. The requirement for an IELTS score of 7.0 (or equivalent) may be higher than the level required for admissions purposes.
- You may apply for the scholarship prior to obtaining the necessary English language test results but the results should be uploaded as soon as possible.
- Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Master’s programme of study in 2017 and your PhD the following year in 2018, that you will not be eligible to apply for a Principal’s Career Development Scholarship in 2017. Principal’s awards cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships but can be held with partial awards such as the Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships.
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential. Candidates must have, or expect to obtain, a UK first class or 2:1 honours degree at undergraduate level or the international equivalent.
- Other factors such as financial status, nationality and the proposed field of study are not taken into account.
- The University will not generally consider candidates who have already obtained a PhD, or formal equivalent, as a result of direct research training.
Number of Scholarships: 45
Scholarship Benefits: Each scholarship covers the UK/EU rate of tuition fee as well as a stipend of £14,500. Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships are awarded for three years.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants should complete an online scholarship application before the application deadline of 1st February 2017.
Please be sure to outline the potential contribution you can make, and the career development opportunities you wish to take under the Principal’s Career Development PhD Scholarship scheme.
Sponsors: University of Edinburgh
Important Notes: Shortlisted candidates should expect to be invited to attend an interview which will take place either in person or by telephone.
The winners of the scholarship will be announced in May 2017.